(The article below was placed on Examiner.com, September 26, 2009. Enjoy! ~ Shannon.)
September is National Coupon Month. Many Bangor area single moms need to be frugal, and using coupons can be a huge help. If you used coupons when you shopped, and added up the savings at the end of the year, you would be shocked. Single moms can use coupons to help during a recession or any time, if they know how to use them wisely.
How to use coupons wisely is the most important thing that a single mom wanting to save money can learn. Things are not always black and white as far as coupon use goes. Many single moms learned the ropes of couponing early on, but there are many more who still need to learn this art form.
- Before purchasing an item with a coupon, look to be sure that another item would not be cheaper. Store and generic brands are often cheaper than items purchased with coupons. An important thing to understand is that the store brand is the same as the name brand for an item that a store sells. For instance, if they sell Hood milk, then the store brand milk is Hood as well. Another thing to be aware of is that another name brand item may even be cheaper than the brand that you want to purchase with a coupon. Go with what will cost the least.
- Have other people save coupons for you. If Dawn is on sale for $1.00, and you have 10 buy 1 get 1 free coupons, then you can purchase 20 for only $10.00 plus tax, saving $10.00 plus tax. You won’t have to purchase dish detergent again for a long time.
- Couponing works best when items are on sale. If an item is regularly $0.59, and goes on sale at 3 for $1.00, and you have a coupon for $0.50 of 6, then you will pay $2.00 plus tax minus $0.50, or $1.50 plus tax for 6. That is $0.25 plus tax each. Not too bad.
- Find out if your local dollar store accepts coupons. This could save you a lot of money in the long run.
- If an item can be purchased in bulk at a cheaper unit price than a smaller size, and if your family will eat it before it goes bad, then it is worth the purchase. By using a coupon, you will save even more money.
- When an item is on sale, stock up while using coupons. This can save a lot of money.
- Some stores have carts or bins with deeply reduced priced items in them. If you have a coupon for an item that is available, you may be able to get the item very cheap, or for free.
Single moms can save money if they shop wisely with coupons.