(This article was originally published to Examiner.com on June 30, 2009. I thought some of my readers may enjoy the read. ~ Shannon)
It may sometimes feel overwhelming being the only parent taking care of your children. You have to feed them, clothe them, pay the bills and do everything else necessary to make sure that your children are adequately taken care of. It can be tough, and it is easy to become stressed.
Being a single mom can also be a lot of fun. You get to participate in a lot of activities with your children, show them the world (or your little part of it), and teach them how to enjoy the life that they have been given. Fun summer activities are a great way of accomplishing this task. In this article I will be discussing where you can take your children, as well as some activities that you can do with them, to show them how to cut loose and have fun.
Area Parks and Playgrounds:
- Cascade Park is a beautiful place for a picnic and for watching the birds or stargazing. It has a fountain that is lit with colored lights in the evenings, which is a remarkable site. There are paths to walk along, and plenty of grass and trees for playing. You can bring the family dog along with you, as this is also a dog park. With a five paw rating at Dogster.com, you can’t go wrong. Just be sure that your dog has a leash, and that you bring bags for scooping the poop. Cascade Park is located on State Street in Bangor, not far from the hospital.
- Riverview Park, located on Front Street, offers up weekly concerts during the summer months. Laying out a blanket and enjoying a picnic with your children is a great way to celebrate summer here in Maine.
- Riverfront Park is located on Main Street in Old Town, not far from Bangor. It has a nice playground, a water feature, and a small field to play Frisbee or ball in. There is a gazebo, and walking trails, and it is located right next to the Penobscot River. You can see the dam from the park, which is a beautiful site at sunset. The Riverfront Park is a wonderful place to picnic and hang out. Your children can ride their bikes and play, and you can all relax after a filling lunch.
Area Discount Movie Theaters:
- Movie Magic Cinemas is located on the Odlin Road in Bangor. Tickets are $3.00 per person, which is a good price overall.
- Spotlight Cinemas in Orono is slightly more expensive than Movie Magic Cinemas, but is a great theater. With digital sound, air conditioning, arcade games and video game tournaments, you can’t go wrong here. The place has a pleasant atmosphere and good food.
Other Great Activities:
- Bike riding as a family can be a lot of fun, and there are a lot of places in the Bangor area where you can do this. Bike riding is also an excellent way to stay in, or to get into, shape.
- Walking is another great exercise that is very beneficial to your families’ health. The Bangor area has many great trails for your family to hike.
- You and your children will have a great time scrapbooking your summer memories this year, Photograph all of the fun activities that you and your children enjoy this summer, and take turns creating pages in an album. Be sure to journal about where you were, what you were doing, how you all felt, and more.
- Rollerblading is another great way to spend time together and get some exercise in.
- Late night picnics are a lot of fun. Spread out a blanket and watch the night sky. Don’t forget to wish upon falling stars. This is a great science activity. Pick up a stargazing guide and find the constellations with your children.
- You may also want to pick up a bird watching guide. Saxl Park in Bangor is a great place for ‘collecting’ birds. You never know what you may see.
- Swimming is a lot of fun, either at a pool or in a lake. Pushaw Lake is not far from Bangor, and it is a nice place to swim.
- Do your children love to catch frogs? Find a place for them to do this, and let them remind you how it is done.
- Do you remember catching fireflies as a child? How about sharing that experience with your children.
As you can see, there are many exciting activities to enjoy during the summer months in the Bangor area. Being a single mom does have its blessings, and having your children to yourself so much during the summer months is one of them.