I think that most people get their houseplants from their mother or grandmother. I once had a spider plant, rooted in a glass of water from a baby off my mothers plant. The thing grew huge and beautiful, but did not weather the move well. In the end, we lost it.
I have a new one now, along with two porthos, that I acquired for free from a neighbor while I was helping her pack. They are all doing great.
Here are some ways for you to acquire house plants for yourself:
- Get babies/starts or plants from family or friends.
- Ask neighbors if you can get babies/starts from them.
- Get the word out that you want house plants. Tell everyone.
- Go to nurseries and see if they have plants that look like they are dying. Maybe they will give them to you free with another purchase.
- Get them during spring cleanup in your town or other towns.